It’s starting to be that time of year again, where I am always looking for a favourite way to incorporate produce from the garden into anything, including dessert!
This cake is super moist and delicious, without being too sweet or heavy. And, hey, you’re getting some greens in in, ta boot! Enjoy.
Barley Chocolate Zucchini Cake
Time: 50 mins
Super moist chocolate cake, as though you’d used bananas, but without the banana taste!
Recipe by Lindsay Bliek
- 1 c butter, melted
- 1 c maple syrup
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c unbleached flour
- 1 c barley flour
- 1/2 c cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c buttermilk
- ~1 1/2 c grated zucchini (approximately 2 small zucchini)
- Preheat oven to 350F and butter a 9″ x 13″ pan.
- Combine melted butter and maple syrup in a stand mixer. Beating together and well combined.
- Add eggs, one at a time, and beat well after each.
- Add vanilla and mix.
- Add the dry ingredients and then mix to combine, adding the buttermilk as you go. The batter should get glossy.
- Then add the zucchini and stir in.
- Bake 35-45 minutes, until gently springs back.
- Cool and then serve with vanilla ice cream, ice with your favourite buttercream, or serve with whipped cream.
We ate it too fast to get any pictures, so I will try to add some later when the garden is puking zucchini!